Are You Fulfilled or Just Filled? – Proverbs 18:20

Proverbs 18:20 "A man’s belly shall be satisfied with the fruit of his mouth; and with the increase of his lips shall he be filled."

Did you ever think that what you say will either come back to haunt you or to bless you? Either way, you are going to be filled, not with the seed of what you said, but the fruit of what you said. What we say, has a huge influence on shaping our future satisfaction or dissatisfaction.

Words are powerful, and how they are said is even more powerful. In fact, the next verse, Proverbs 18:21, talks about death and life being in the power of the tongue. I have heard that words make up 10% of the message while the other 90% is made of our tone and body language, how true. How we speak makes a big difference. Our tongues are instruments of great influence. James, Jesus’ half-brother, likens the tongue to a bridle in a horse’s mouth and the rudder on a ship which turn the direction of the whole beast or ship around, respectively (James 3:3-5). Our tongues have the power to turn situations around. By God’s grace, we can change situations for good by responding in a Christ-like way. The results of the wise or unwise use of our mouth will result in being full of satisfaction or full of dissatisfaction.

Being full of something is inevitable, so be careful what you say now, because you will be full of the fruits of it later, and maybe sooner than you think. According to AMG’s Complete Word Study Dictionary, in ancient literature like this verse, the word "belly" refers to our innermost being, the place where thoughts are treasured and the spiritual being expresses itself and is satisfied.

What is in your heart comes out your mouth, and plants seeds which bear fruit, which fruit you will eat. The fruit will make you sick if it is bad or satisfy you if its good, so be careful what you say.

Now let’s apply it personally. Am I planting seeds of kind words in others’ lives, rather than the words that are natural to my old nature? What am I full of now, the fruit of good words, or the rotten fruit of nasty words? How can I better encourage others to love and obey the Lord by planting words of kindness in their lives? Notice the power of words in Hebrews 3:13.

"But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin." Words of grace have the power to keep myself and others from being deceived by sin. On the contrary, if I am not exhorting others, I am being hardened by sin. Wow!

I pray that the words of our mouths and the meditations of our hearts would be acceptable in the sight of the Lord who is our strength and our Redeemer (Psalm 19:14). May we be fulfilled, not just filled.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s